I. Purpose of God (fellowship)
- Man created in image of God with meaning and purpose to fellowship with and glorify God. (Gen. 1:26-31)
- God simply required man’s obedience. (Gen. 2:16,17)
II. Problem of Man (sin)
- Man chose to be his own god, to disobey God, and sin. (Gen. 3)
- Sin brought physical and spiritual death, i.e., separation from Holy God. (Is. 59:2)
- All men have sinned and fallen short of God’s glory. (Rom. 3:23; 5:12)
- Wages of sin is death. (Rom. 6:23; Heb. 9:27; Rev. 20:15)
- The shedding of blood is required for forgiveness of sins. (Heb. 9:22)
- Eternal destiny of unsaved is separation from God. (John 3:18, 36: Jude 7; 2 Thess. 1:8-9)
Issue: Since Scripture says all men are dead in sin and alienated from God (Eph. 2:1,12),
how can man be brought back into right relationship with God?
III. Provision of God (salvation)
Man cannot save himself—
- Being good is not enough. (Is. 64:6)
- Doing good is not enough. (Eph. 2:9)
- Wisdom and intellect is not enough. (Matt. 16:17; 1 Cor. 1:21)
- Without God salvation is impossible. (Luke 18:26, 27; Is. 59:15-16)
God through Jesus Christ makes salvation available to all men.
- God so loved the world that He gave His Son. (John 3:16)
- Jesus is God. (Jn. 10:30; Mt. 1:21-23; Mk. 14:61-62)
- While we were yet sinners and helpless, Christ died for us. (Rom. 5:8)
- Christ bore our sins in His body and paid the penalty for us by shedding His blood on the cross. (1 Pet. 2:22-24)
- Christ died for our sins, was buried and raised the third day according to Scripture (1 Cor. 15:3-6).
- Jesus is the only way to God (Jn. 14:6; Jn. 8:24; 1 Tim. 2:5; Acts 4:12).
- The Gospel is the power of God for salvation to all who believe. (Rom. 1:16-17)
IV. Procuring by man of God’s provision (faith)
- Salvation is the free gift of God’s grace. (Rom. 6:23; Eph. 2:8; Gen. 12:3; Gal. 3:6-9)
- Salvation is made effective by faith alone (Acts 16:31; Rom. 10:9; Gen. 15:6; Hab.2:4)
Note: Faith is not simply intellectual agreement, but actively trusting in Christ for forgiveness of sins and eternal life as one turns from sin to God.
Salvation brings eternal life with God. (John 3:16; 1:12)
Offer: Receive by faith the free gift of salvation and forgiveness of sins provided by God’s grace.